Marco Marcola

Marco Marcola (Verona, 1740–1793) came from a renowned family of artists. He trained in the studio of his father Giovanni Battista Marcola, with his brother Nicola and his sister Angela.

Together with his father, a painter, he was one of the founders of the Accademia Cignaroli in 1764.

With his brother Nicola, he painted the Supper at Emmaus in Bovolone for the oratory of San Biagio.

He was alone in making the decoration in 1771 of Palazzo Allegri in a district of Verona called San Nazaro.

He fully developed his adherence to the style of Giovan Battista Tiepolo and specialized in portraying the city of Venice with its masks and festivals.

In 1773, he decorated Villa Dionisi in Cá del Lago di Cerea and Villa Perez Pompei Sagramoso in Illasi. In those years, he also worked on the decoration of Villa Canossa in Grezzano di Mozzecane and Villa Marioni Pullé in Chievo.

Around the late 18th century, he painted the Deposition of the Castelvecchio Museum and decorated the Bishop’s Seminary in Verona, the Parish Church of San Giacomo Maggiore, and Palazzo Fè d’Ostiani in Brescia.

Luigi Lanzi called him “…universal painter, very speedy in his work, ferocious in his inventions…” in “Storia pittorica dell’Italia dal risorgimento delle belle arti fin presso alla fine del secolo XVIII” [History of painting in Italy from the Risorgimento of the Fine Arts until the late 18th century].